venerdì 10 novembre 2023

Nov. 11 Maurice Lee Britt Day - 80th anniversary

Today is your day 

and let us say that we are in love with your smile

 and being so American, 

on your glory day, we remember you 

and we remember all your family, 

today our fraternal friends. 

With your  smile, your lion-like courage 

you were a one man army 

to give freedom to those who had lost it, 

to give back a smile and the will to 

live to those who no longer had hope.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart

In the history of men at war there are days when courage, strength and valor are manifested together at the same time, asking for help from luck.

 These are days that remain fixed in the memory of those who experienced them and the comrades who were beside them, becoming "days of glory."

These days fill pages of books, full of memories of stories of memoirs and testimonies.   These glory days, through books are passed on to the next generation, creating the history of a people, the unity of a nation, its character, and that of subsequent generations.

Maurice Lee Britt, at the dawn of Nov. 9 and 10, 1943, did not know that what he was about to experience were his glory days and that subsequent generations would remember them forever.

This is the story of an American boy who was called to arms during World War II and participated in the war of liberation in Italy.

The Association of the Third Infantry Division US Army - Italy, Outpost No. 16

remembers him with infinite affection.



Maurice  Lee Britt “Footsie” M.O.H.

3rd Infantry Division

30th Infantry Regiment

3rd Battalion

L Company


Maurice Lee Britt, with the nickname "Footsie," was born June 29, 1919, in Carlisle, Arkansas.

He was the son of Morris Lee and Virgie Britt, farmers in the Carlisle area.  He was named Morris after his father, but during elementary school, a teacher told him his name was misspelled and changed the spelling to Maurice.

His family moved to nearby Lonoke County when Maurice was still a ra- boy, here he completed high school.

He received the nickname "Footsie" as a teenager after winning a pair of shoes at a local fair when they noticed that he had feet corresponding to our number forty-seven, a giant size for the time.

While attending school in Lonoke, Britt's physical prowess was evident in every sport he played. He was also an excellent student; he won several essay contests and was praised for his achievements in Latin and English. While a "senior" at Lonoke High School, he was elected class president and was also captain of the track, soccer and basketball teams. Britt earned his Valedictorian academic degree and graduated June 5, 1937, with honors and later entered the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, where he was awarded a scholarship.

He pursued a "Bachelor of Arts" in journalism ( a bachelor's degree program) and in 1941, after graduation, entered the Army as a reservist with the rank of second lieutenant infantryman following the "Reserve Officers Training Corps."

At the same time he entered as a professional player in the 1941 American football league, the Detroit Lions, immediately distinguishing himself by his speed, strength and agility.

He also became a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity .

The fraternity's raison d'être was to promote the concepts of friendship, justice and knowledge; building a fraternity among its members, whatever their  life path. Its mission was to develop leaders who were dedicated to strengthening character, committed to their universities and communities. Sigma Chi's vision was "to become the benchmark for organizational leadership development in academia--centered, carried on and lived by its core values." ) He was also sports editor of the student newspaper, Arkansas Traveller.

He married Nancy Mitchell of Fort Smith (Sebastian County) on June 8, 1941, and the next day graduated with a degree in journalism.

In December of that year he was recalled to active duty, as a second lieutenant, and began training at Camp Joseph T. Robinson, North Little Rock, Arkansas; but he immediately received a deferment in order to complete the season with the Detroit Lions.

At the end of the season, once he was drafted, he was assigned to the Third Infantry Division, 30th Regiment, 3rd Battalion, L Company.

His initial training was at Fort Lewis, Washington; then Fort Ord, along California's Monterey Bay, and finally at Camp Pickett, east of the town of Blackstone, Virginia.

Early in his military career he was deployed with the Third Division in coastal defense, on the West Coast of the United States, but wartime events in 1942 soon called him into action in the African and then Italian theater of war, with the entire Third Infantry Division.

On October 23, 1942, the 30th Infantry Regiment and the entire Third Division were embarked for North Africa; seventeen days later, on November 8, they landed in French North Africa along with two other divisions of the U.S. Army, under the command of Major General George S. Patton Jr.

Britt was on those ships and then on the landing craft, platoon commander in L Company of the same regiment; objective, blue sector Fedala beach.

Landing on the beach near Casablanca in French Morocco, he participated with The 30th Infantry Regiment immediately securing the left flank of the Third Division and silencing the guns at Fort Blondin that were firing on the naval force located off the Moroccan coast. Meanwhile, the 7th Infantry Regiment "Cottonbalers" immediately set out to assault Casablanca, along with the 15th Regiment, in which was a young soldier, Audie Murphy, who would become famous in later years, finishing the war as an officer and with the title of most decorated soldier in U.S. history.

In two days the three infantry regiments of the Third Division gained complete control of the Fedala and Casablanca sectors.

Britt distinguished himself by attacking the castle, from whose walls artillery pounded the entire beach and ships during landing operations; the spirit of a leader and a hero was being born.

In January 1943, the 3rd Battalion, of the 30th Infantry Regiment was assigned to the personal guard of Sir Winston Churchill and President Franklin D. Roosevelt, during the Casablanca Conference. At the end of the North African Campaign, the Third Division had a training period in Bizerte, Tunisia, in preparation for the invasion of Sicily, embedded in Clark's Fifth Army.

The Sicily landings.

The second for Britt, which again saw him in the spotlight, was on July 10, 1943, when they landed at the spot dubbed "blue beach" in the Licata area with the 3rd and 7th Battalions of the 30th Infantry Regiment.

Britt, in the days following the landing, distinguished himself by having his men go on one of the longest foot marches in modern military history, leading his men 54 miles (87 kilometers) in only 33 hours, without water or food, crossing inland Sicily in July, with temperatures above forty degrees, starting from Gela all the way to Palermo.

The city was liberated on July 22, and Britt participated first, with his men, in the fight to liberate the city and later continued on the great march arriving as far as Messina.

Having liberated Sicily, the Allied forces organized for the invasion of the Italian peninsula with a series of landings divided between American and British troops.

American troops, on Sept. 18, 1943, landed south of the Sele River at Battipaglia; Britt was in one of the landing craft.

What he repeated in his thoughts and prayers was to have some luck for this third landing since the beginning of his military service, this time as part of the great Operation Avalanche, the Salerno landings.

Britt, in the fighting over the next few days, took command of L Company when its commander was wounded and evacuated to the ships for treatment.

On September 22 he was leading the 30th Infantry Regiment in the assault on Acerno, ten miles from Salerno, seeing a critical situation for his company and those nearby, he decided to locate and destroy an enemy machine gun position mowing down advancing American soldiers from a safe position.                                                                                                                                                         

He eventually found it, located in a grove of chestnut trees west of the town; he took a rifle grenade and crawled through the open field, unconcerned about the risk, for more than 50 meters before reaching a useful firing position and destroying the emplacement, which he did with the only possible shot.

With this action he received a "Silver Star Medal" the third highest decoration for military valor that can be awarded to a soldier by the U.S. Armed Forces, for "an act of heroism in action against an enemy of the United States of America."

On the same day, a few hours later, a falling mortar shell near him struck his arm with shrapnel, thus "gifting" him with the first of his four "Purple Hearts" (a U.S. Armed Forces decoration awarded in the name of the President to those who have been wounded or killed while serving in the armed forces since April 5, 1917, the day that marked the U.S. entry into World War I).

By early October 1943, all of southern Italy was in the hands of the Allies, the armies were facing the Volturno line. This was the first in a series of defensive lines prepared by the Germans that crossed Italy from east to west and from which the Germans had chosen to fight in order to delay the Allied advance. This strategy forced the Allies to advance and fight in impassable terrain and conquer it meter by meter; giving the defenders time to complete the preparation of other defensive lines, such as the Bernhard Line and the Gustav Line, one of their strongest defensive lines south of Rome, which engaged the Allies for nearly six months. On October 29, after crossing the Volturno River, Britt was on the front line with his boys in the Pietravairano area during the attack on Mount San Nicola. His task was to organize a covering fire to enable a company of the 30th Regiment to take the summit. In the same attack at Pietravairano the previous day, Arlo L. Olson, an officer in the 15th Regiment of the Third Infantry Division, earned the Medal of Honor, for his actions during the fighting.  In the early stages of the fighting on Oct. 29, one of Britt's soldiers was shot by a sniper and fell on steep terrain in an impassable, rocky area uncovered to enemy fire; his screams made it clear that he had not been killed but only wounded, perhaps seriously. Britt did not wait for evening and thus darkness to send help, but climbed alone down the hill, over uncovered terrain and easy target for snipers, until he reached the wounded soldier, who was picked up on his shoulder and carried back down the valley to his lines and first aid. For the actions at Pietravairano on Oct. 29, he received the "Bronze Star Medal" with a bronze "V" placed on the ribbon to indicate the "Valor" of the actions conducted in those days. The days that followed in November saw the entire Third Infantry Division tasked with liberating towns along the axis of Highway Six (S.S. 6 Casilina) and then reaching and conquering the three mountains that dominated the valley north of the village of Mignano and which were an obstacle for the armored forces to continue the march on Rome. They were the hill of Monterotondo on the right of Highway Six; Montelungo on the left; and Monte la Defenza also on the left. The three mountains, with the Via Casilina in between represented an obstacle for almost two months and committed thousands of men. At last count there were more than 120 medals among American and Italian cobelligerent troops. The 15th Regiment, objective Monterotondo and Montelungo, and the 7th Regiment, objective Monte Cesima, bordering the British sector and attack objective, Monte Camino, would be used for the attack.

Scout patrols reported several minefields, traps and machine-gun emplacements all over the mountains, defended by units of the 3rd Panzergrenadier Division and Hermann Göring Division, which were still effective, despite the heavy losses they had suffered so far.

General Truscott, who had held command of the 3rd Infantry Division since April 1943, had put the 30th Infantry Regiment in reserve, keeping it ready for the decisive assault in that area when the German defenses were on the verge of collapse.

But the tactical situation that had arisen on Mount Camino in the British sector, where the British 56th Division was pinned down and being decimated; led British General McCreery to ask Clark for more pressure to help the 56th Division.

General Clark agreed, asking General Lucas for more effort; the latter asked General Truscott, commander of troops in the area referred to as "Mignano Gap," to also employ the 30th Infantry Regiment in a wraparound maneuver.

Truscott protested, seeing this as a waste of a regiment, but obeyed orders by sending the 30th regiment. The soldiers immediately left in trucks toward Presenzano, near Rocca Pipirozzi, from here they reached areas garrisoned by the 45th Division and they advanced westward along "Cannavinelle Hill," a mountain trail dug for the occasion by a Ranger battalion, to take Monterotondo from the east in a maneuver to outflank enemy positions.

The regiment, fatigued, wet from the never-ending rain and cold from the low temperatures of the period, was ordered to capture and hold the strategic Monterotondo position that allowed the Germans to control the main road to Rome.

The rain was also joined by snow, and the 30th Infantry Regiment on the morning of Nov. 6 attacked making little progress. On their flank to the west, the 15th infantry rgt had failed to capture the first peak of Montelungo, both had not achieved their objectives, and a new attack was needed.

The capture of Monterotondo took place on November 8, on a foggy morning, after two days spent under the snow without winter equipment or food, which was delivered only hours before the second attack.

For this action they were supported by eight artillery battalions coordinated with each other, which fired on the two hills, allowing the 30th rgt. to break through the defense of the 3rd Panzergrenadier Division and make their way through the brush, up the steep and muddy hill to reach the summit.

For conquering the summit, the 3rd Division's 30th Regiment was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation, a rectangular blue ribbon edged with a gold cord, one of the highest military honors in the U.S. armed forces, awarded for "acts of extraordinary heroism against the enemy."

A battalion of the 15thrgt. infantry also captured the first peak of Montelungo, while a second positioned itself along Highway Six between the hills of Montelungo and Monterotondo to ensure the closure of a defensive bend of about nine hundred meters.

In this area the scouting patrol led by Private Audie Murphy following a fight with several German casualties and prisoners, was forced to take refuge in a cave. (The confrontation was recalled by A.Murphy in his memoirs published in the book "to Hell and back." The cave was rediscovered in spring 2018 and can currently be visited). On the same day, November 8, with the intention of recapturing the hill, the 8th panzer regiment of the 3rd panzer division (Panzergrenadier) launched several attacks with the 2nd battalion (II/8th) against some companies of the 3rd division positioned on the top of Monterotondo. The historian of the 3rd Division described their attacks to us as "uncoordinated with each other," this fact was strange to the Americans, who were used to German organization in defense and attack. The German battalion strength at the end of the first attacks was reduced to only thirty men such that it was necessary for the German command to reunite the 2nd btg. (II/8th) with the 3rd btg. (III/8th) placed between Monterotondo and Montelungo in order to have an efficient unit again. German General Frido Von Senger, commander of the entire sector, despairing of the outcome of the fighting and determined to retake Monterotondo, ordered the 104th Panzergrenadier regiment, (III/104th) which remained in reserve, to recapture the summit of Monterotondo "at all costs." Von Senger also ordered Otto Von Corvin's combat group to take up positions in the area of San Pietro Finally, the famous Battle of San Pietro was on the horizon. During the night of November 9, the 104th Panzergrenadier Regiment overran the 8th Panzergrenadier at the base of Monterotondo Hill. This battalion was still holding prisoners of Americans captured during the previous day's attacks; from the division's historical sources, it appears that these were soldiers from some machine gun positions who had been cut off by the German counterattack. The 104th, having been ordered to retake Monterotondo at all costs, decided that the end justified the means and took charge of the American prisoners, informing them that they would be positioned in front of the battalion during the attack, effectively using them as shields humans. This stratagem was put into action as early as the evening, when two companies of the 104th advanced in the night to the eastern slopes of Monterotondo, taking with them prisoners who would be used the following day in the main attack.

Britt's day and the day of valor came, it was Nov. 10, 1943, Monterotondo at that point in the fighting was defended by three undersized companies of the 3rd Btg. of the 30th Rgt. of the Third American Division. One of the three companies, "L," Britt's, was positioned low and reduced to only 55 men, of the 200 it was composed of during Operation Avalanche, and was to control and defend a wooded area of about 550 yards located on the eastern slope of the hill. The battalion commander, Lieutenant Colonel Edgar C. Doleman, recalls that the defensive system was so extensive and manned by only a few men that it was impossible to maintain contact through the woods and slopes, this was possible only by the use of patrols, exposed to the gunfire of the attackers or by listening to messages shouted between the various positions, communications impossible in the phases of the battle because they were covered by the sounds of bursts and gunfire. The enemy began to advance toward the American positions, forcing the American prisoners to run in front of them and succeeding in finding a gap between K and L Companies that allowed them to attack L Company from the flank, isolating it from the rest of the battalion. Corporal John Syc, recalling those days said, "we could not see the American prisoners, but we could hear them shouting not to shoot." When the prisoners were now 50 mt away and kept shouting "Don't shoot!" the commander of L Company, Lt. Britt, shouted to the prisoners "We're going to shoot! Fall flat! You won't be hurt!" "We're going to shoot, fall flat on the ground, you won't be hurt!" The brief delay in opening fire by the Americans, to understand the situation and warn prisoners used as human shields, had allowed the Panzergrenadiers to seize the opportunity they sought: to get as close as possible to L Company to reduce casualties and inflict more damage on the enemy. With the two sides very close, the confrontation looked as if it should end in hand-to-hand combat, so much so that both factions put bayonets on their rifles. The Germans engaged in the attack numbered more than a hundred, and it was at that point that Britt, realizing that his company would be cut off from the rest of the battalion and then annihilated, came out of his hole and began running from post to post encouraging his men to hold their ground and fire to keep the German positions constantly under fire, who in the meantime, having figured it all out, had begun targeting only Britt, failing to hit him given his speed and constant changes of trajectory; a specialty in which Britt was famous on the Detroit Lions.

During the action he was pierced in the ribs by a bullet and wounded three more times by mortar shrapnel, but despite the pain, the blood covering his chest, face and hands, he was able to throw thirty-two fragmentation grenades at the enemy, fire his rifle and any weapons he found on the ground or in the holes of slain soldiers, until he expended an impressive number of rounds.  He killed five Germans and wounded many others, and managed to free some of the captive American soldiers, in turn taking four German prisoners. Fred E. Marshall remembers Britt running from side to side firing at every noise and every moving figure, disappearing into the woods only to reappear once he ran out of ammunition; he remembers him taking an M1 carbine from a severely wounded soldier and continuing to fire with it and throwing grenades into the woods as he ran looking for the Germans. One scene that stuck with Marshall was when he saw Britt in the midst of German fire just a few yards away from them, throwing grenades all around him without being hit by the same shrapnel; the bombs burst around him and he ran and kept throwing them. Sgt. James G. Klanes remembers seeing him leave and throw 10/12 grenades at the Germans, who shot and threw grenades at him in turn, and then seeing him return to take back more shells and speed off again, throughout the fight. On one of the runs back to the American positions they saw him with his face his chest and hands covered with blood, from three German hand grenades thrown at him and which he had managed to throw back causing them to burst far away, but being hit by the shrapnel. When the initial assault was about to falter and the remainder of the German force was still in front of their positions, but psychologically tested by the defense they were encountering; Britt called his men together, inciting them to follow him into the woods to attack and clear the threat. Corporal Eric B. Gibson of Chicago, (who did not know that day that on January 28, 1944, near Isola Bella north of Anzio he would be awarded the Medal of Honor for his bravery) and Private Schimer of New York followed him; Britt instilled courage; he seemed immortal. Gibson recalls that as Britt gave directions for action his canteen was pierced with bullet holes, his shirt was covered with water, sweat and blood, and his binocular case was all pierced with shrapnel and bullet holes. When the battle was over, 14 German casualties were counted on that side of the mountain, many of them killed by Britt. Throughout the morning he and the Germans in the woods exchanged fire from a distance of 15 meters, seeming to search for them in the brambles to attack battle. Some of the survivors of that confrontation said that Britt, that morning in that forest, was a one-man army. His actions fundamentally affected the German retreat; had he failed, Monterotondo probably would have been recaptured. When reinforcements arrived in the afternoon, Britt still returned to the woods to search for and hit the rest of the remaining Germans. Gibson still recalls that Britt annihilated a position of machine guns about to hit him, saving his life. When reinforcements arrived, of the initial fifty-five men in Britt's "L" Company, only four remained; the Germans left sixty-five dead and wounded on the field. After the positions were consolidated, the battalion commander, Col. Doleman asked for a report from Britt and observing him bleeding in four different places told him to show himself at once; but Britt said it was nothing, the colonel had to order him to go to the aid station. Arriving at the dressing station Britt told the medical officer, Captain Roy Hanford, "go on with the treatment of the other wounded, I have only a small scratch, when you have time look at it." This scratch, the medical captain later said, was a 2 cm wide wound deep to the muscle, not counting the shrapnel on his face and hands left by German shells. Seeing Britt's behavior, the medical captain said, was a source of strength and inspiration for both the wounded and the medical personnel, who were tried and tired from those days of combat. After his brief passage through the infirmary, he felt that everyone wanted to give more at the cost of enduring pain; his figure instilled respect strength and courage. When asked if he wanted to go to the hospital Britt replied, "No, Doc, I want to go back up that hill and help my guys!." His cure was a little sulfa powder and a lot of bandages. Britt on that occasion did not show a piece of hand grenade embedded in his pectoral muscle; he did so several days later. He left the tent and resumed climbing the very steep hill of Monterotondo. Lieutenant Britt, at the end of the fighting, was awarded the Medal of Honor, the highest military decoration awarded by the U.S. government. For Britt there was also promotion to battlefield captain.

Anzio, Jan. 22, 1944,

for Britt this was the fourth landing since the beginning of his military service, the Third Division was engaged in Operation Shingle. The landing craft swayed slowly, the landing announced itself to be quieter than usual. Britt, his wounds healed, was on the front lines with his company in the Pontine Marshes on January 23, near a road junction in the Mussolini Canal area. His experience from months of combat made him realize that the Germans at that crossroads had planted well-camouflaged machine guns, but he did not know where; he was sure they would fire when all his and other companies' men were out in the open.  Therefore, in order to succeed in snaring them, he told his people to keep their eyes open and see where the fire was coming from in order to direct mortar and artillery fire, and began to run his way deliberately exposing himself to German machine gun fire. Here again his speed, his courage prevailed. The machine guns opened fire declaring their position and the American mortars reduced them to silence. Britt's action had saved the lives of so many American soldiers that as a sign of respect they named and remembered that road junction as "Britt Junction." The next day, Jan. 24, Captain Britt and his friend (Captain Burleigh Packwood), after several nights spent fighting from house to house with perfectly coordinated actions between their companies to snuff out the Germans; volunteered to go on a reconnaissance mission, which was aimed at observing a dozen approaching German tanks, were the first signs of the German counterattack following the landing. Britt and Packwood positioned themselves inside a half-destroyed stone farmhouse and used it as an observation post to direct artillery fire against the advancing tanks.  A German tank, having realized that an observation post might be inside the farmhouse, approached about 300 meters from the building before firing an armor-piercing shell that struck the house and penetrated several walls before exploding in the room where Captain Britt was. The explosion tore his arm to the elbow, fractured his leg and three toes. Britt, while sitting amidst the rubble, picked up his arm severed with his left hand and said to his friend Packwood, "I always thought it would turn out this way!" That was the arm with which he held the football. Britt and Packwood remained lifelong friends; his grandson recalls that every Christmas Britt's first phone call was to his friend Packwood and they would stay for a long time telling each other the stories they had experienced together before wishing each other happy holidays. His actions on Jan. 23 and 24 at the Anzio beachhead earned him the "Distinguished Service Cross," the second highest decoration in the U.S. Army, awarded for bravery and extreme risk of life. In February 1944, Britt was evacuated to the United States for medical treatment at Lawson General Hospital in Atlanta; the war was over for him. In his speech on the day the Medal of Honor was awarded, Captain Britt accepted the medal on behalf of all the infantrymen who had fought and died in Italy, Europe and the Pacific and for all those who were still fighting. While recovering from his wounds and having part of his arm amputated, he participated in a War Bond tour seeking funds to finance the war effort. He was honorably discharged on December 27, 1944, and returned to the University of Arkansas to study and get his law degree while the war continued. Around him he saw foot soldiers such as Audie Murphy, Leonard Funk and other multi-decorates continue to raise money and tell of their exploits but Britt was no longer remembered by the press or the Army. He settled in Fort Smith, where he joined a furniture manufacturing business owned by his wife's family. He and Nancy had three children, Andrew, Maurice Jr. and Nancy Lea. In 1963 he moved to Little Rock and established his own aluminum products manufacturing business. He later divorced Nancy and his second marriage was to Patricia Allbright Britt, November 12, 1966; (she died December 1, 1993). In 1966, Britt switched from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party , probably in conflict with the segregationist beliefs held by some members of the Democratic Party at that time. He worked successfully for Governor Winthrop Rockefeller, and both courted newly empowered black voters. Britt served Rockefeller two terms, ending in 1970. When he chose not to run for reelection in 1970, he became responsible for the failed campaign for not accepting Rockefeller's offer. Britt was offered a position as district director of the Small Business Administration by President Nixon in 1971 and served in that capacity until 1985. He ran for the Republican nomination for governor in 1986, but was defeated by former governor Frank White . Maurice Britt was the first American soldier to earn all four U.S. Army decorations for valor during World War II. He joined his brothers in arms, of "L" Company, on November 26, 1995, in the John L. Mc Clellan Memorial Veterans Hospital in Little Rock.

For fifty-two years he had lived with the constant, daily pain of losing his right arm, his right lung, his torso scarred by shrapnel and pierced by a bullet, and a piece of shrapnel lodged in his left foot. In October 1995, when his diabetic condition allowed, the piece of metal was removed from his foot. A vast infection following the surgery and three subsequent operations in one week to succeed in stopping it were too much for this great soldier, who died at the age of 76 from heart failure. During the ceremony the coffin was open, his military coat hanging from the back of his favorite rocking chair placed next to the casket. His military cap and medals were placed on a table beside him. An army sergeant remained beside the coffin during the six hours Britt was displayed. The ceremony took place at Calvary Baptist Church in Little Rock, where Britt was a member and went every Sunday. Burial took place at Little Rock National Cemetery. "A great man, a great soldier, a great grandfather," as his grandson, Chris Britt, remembers him. The grandfather, an avid fisherman, upon returning from a day at the lake if he had caught a big fish would indicate its length with his healthy arm; if the catch had gone bad, he would smile and tell his grandson "I caught one this big" while raising his missing arm. On Nov. 18, 2021, one of the entrances to Fort Stewart, base of the Third US Army Infantry Division, was dedicated to Maurice Lee Britt. Writer Alex Kershaw, included his story in the book "Against All Odds, a true story of ultimate courage and survival in word war II" Caliber editions. Chris Britt, believes that a contribution to this renewed interest has also been made by our outpost in Italy, with the work of researching the locations of the various combats and publishing articles to honor and remember him.

We will never cease to remember him and bring his story to awareness.


Oggi è il tuo giorno 

e lasciateci dire che siamo innamorati del tuo sorriso

e del tuo essere così americano, 

nel tuo giorno di gloria, ti ricordiamo 

e ricordiamo tutta la tua famiglia, 

oggi i nostri amici fraterni. 

Con il tuo sorriso, il tuo coraggio da leone 

eri un esercito di un solo uomo 

per dare la libertà a chi l'aveva persa, 

per ridare il sorriso e la voglia di vita 

a chi non aveva più speranza.

Grazie dal profondo del nostro cuore

Nella storia degli uomini in guerra ci sono giorni in cui il coraggio, la forza e il valore si manifestano insieme nello stesso momento, chiedendo aiuto alla fortuna.

Sono giorni che restano fissi nella memoria di coloro che li hanno vissuti e dei compagni che gli erano accanto, diventando “giorni di gloria”.

Questi giorni riempiono pagine di libri, piene di ricordi di racconti di memorie e di testimonianze.   Questi giorni di gloria, attraverso i libri vengono tramandati alle generazioni successive, creando la storia di un popolo, l’unità di una nazione, il suo carattere e quello delle generazioni successive.

Maurice Lee Britt, all’alba del 9 e 10 Novembre del 1943, non sapeva che quelli che si apprestava a vivere erano i suoi giorni di gloria e che le generazioni successive li avrebbero ricordati per sempre.

Questa è la storia di un ragazzo americano, chiamato alle armi durante il Secondo Conflitto Mondiale e che partecipò alla guerra di liberazione in Italia.


L’Associazione della Terza Divisione di fanteria US Army – Italia, avamposto nr.16

lo ricorda con affetto infinito.



Maurice  Lee Britt “Footsie” M.O.H.

3a Divisione di Fanteria

30th Reggimento di Fanteria

3° Battaglione

Compagnia L

Maurice Lee Britt, con il soprannome di "Footsie", nacque il 29 giugno del 1919 a Carlisle, Arkansas.

Figlio di Morris Lee e Virgie Britt, coltivatori nella zona di Carlisle.  Si chiamava Morris come suo padre, ma durante la scuola elementare, un insegnante gli disse che il suo nome era scritto male e cambiò l'ortografia in Maurice.

La sua famiglia si trasferì nella vicina contea di Lonoke quando Maurice era ancora un ra-gazzo, qui completò il liceo.

Ricevette il soprannome di "Footsie" da adolescente, dopo aver vinto un paio di scarpe in una fiera locale, quando si accorsero che aveva i piedi corrispondenti al nostro numero quarantasette, dimensioni giganti per l’epoca.

Mentre frequentava la scuola a Lonoke, l'abilità fisica di Britt era evidente in ogni sport che praticava. Era anche uno studente eccellente; vinse diversi concorsi per dei saggi e fu  lodato per i suoi risultati in latino e inglese. Mentre era un “anziano” alla Lonoke High School, fu eletto presidente di classe e fu anche capitano delle squadre di atletica leggera, calcio e basket. Britt ottenne il titolo accademico Valedictorian e si laureò il 5 giugno 1937 con lode e successivamente entrò alla University of Arkansas a Fayetteville, dove ottenne una borsa di studio.

Seguì un “Bachelor of Arts” in giornalismo ( un corso di laurea di primo livello) e nel 1941,  dopo il diploma, entrò come riservista nell'Esercito con il grado di sottotenente di fanteria seguendo il “Reserve Officers Training Corps” (corso di addestramento per ufficiali della riserva).

Nello stesso periodo entrò come giocatore professionista nel campionato di football americano del 1941, nei Detroit Lions, distinguendosi subito per la sua velocità, forza e agilità.

Divenne inoltre membro della confraternita Sigma Chi .

La ragion d'essere della fraternità era la promozione dei concetti di amicizia, giustizia e conoscenza; la costruzione di una confraternita tra i suoi membri, qualunque sia il loro percorso di vita. La sua missione era quella di sviluppare leader che si dedicavano a rafforzare il carattere, impegnati nelle loro università e nelle loro comunità. La visione di Sigma Chi era "diventare il punto di riferimento per lo sviluppo della leadership organizzativa nel mondo accademico - centrato, portato avanti e vissuto secondo i suoi valori fondamentali". ) Fu inoltre direttore sportivo del giornale studentesco, Arkansas Traveller.

Sposò Nancy Mitchell di Fort Smith (Sebastian County) l'8 giugno 1941 e il giorno successivo si laureò in giornalismo.

A Dicembre dello stesso anno fu richiamato alle armi in servizio attivo, come sottotenente, ed iniziò l’addestramento a Camp Joseph T. Robinson, North Little Rock, Arkansas; ma ricevette subito un rinvio per poter completare la stagione nei Detroit Lions.

A fine campionato, una volta arruolato, fu assegnato alla Terza Divisione di Fanteria, 30° Reggimento, 3° Battaglione,  compagnia L.

L'addestramento iniziale lo ebbe inizialmente a Fort Lewis, Washington; poi Fort Ord, lungo la Baia di Monterey in California, ed infine a Camp Pickett, ad est della città di Blackstone, in Virginia.

All’inizio della sua carriera militare fu schierato con la Terza Divisione nella difesa costiera, sulla costa occidentale degli Stati Uniti, ma gli eventi bellici del 1942 lo chiamarono presto in azione sul teatro di guerra Africano e poi Italiano, con tutta la Terza Divisione di Fanteria.

Il 23 ottobre del 1942 il 30° reggimento di Fanteria e tutta la Terza Divisione furono imbarcati per il Nord Africa, diciassette giorni dopo, l'8 novembre, sbarcarono nel Nord Africa Francese insieme ad altre due divisioni dell'esercito americano, sotto il comando del maggiore generale George S. Patton Jr.

Britt era su quelle navi e poi sui mezzi da sbarco, comandante di plotone nella compagnia L dello stesso reggimento; obiettivo, settore blù spiaggia di Fedala.

Sbarcato sulla spiaggia, nei pressi di Casablanca nel Marocco Francese, partecipò con Il 30° reggimento di  Fanteria assicurando subito il fianco sinistro della Terza Divisione  e mettendo a tacere i cannoni di Fort Blondin che stavano sparando sulla forza navale situata al largo della costa marocchina.

Nel frattempo il 7° reggimento di fanteria “Cottonbalers” partì subito all’assalto di Casablanca, insieme con il 15° reggimento, nel quale si trovava un giovane soldato, Audie Murphy, che diventerà famoso negli anni successivi, finendo la guerra da ufficiale e con il titolo di soldato più decorato della storia degli Stati Uniti d’America.

In due giorni i tre reggimenti di fanteria della Terza Divisione conquistarono il completo controllo del settore di Fedala e di Casablanca.

Britt si distinse per l’attacco al castello, dalle cui mura l’artiglieria batteva l’intera spiaggia e le navi durante le operazioni di sbarco; stava nascendo lo spirito di un condottiero e di un eroe.

Nel gennaio del 1943, il 3° battaglione, del 30° reggimento fanteria fu assegnato alla guardia personale di Sir Winston Churchill e del presidente Franklin D. Roosevelt, durante la conferenza di Casablanca. Al termine della Campagna del Nord Africa, la Terza Divisione ebbe un periodo di addestramento a Biserta, in Tunisia, in preparazione dell’invasione della Sicilia, inserita nella Quinta Armata di Clark.

Lo sbarco in Sicilia.

Il secondo per Britt, che lo vide di nuovo protagonista, era il 10 luglio del 1943, quando sbarcarono nel punto definito “blue beach” nella zona di Licata, con il 3° e 7° Battaglione del 30°reggimento di fanteria.

Britt, nei giorni successivi lo sbarco, si distinse, facendo fare ai suoi uomini una delle marce a piedi più lunghe nella storia militare moderna, guidando i suoi uomini per 54 miglia (87 chilometri) in sole 33 ore, senza acqua ne cibo, attraversando di luglio la Sicilia interna, con temperature superiori ai quaranta gradi, partendo da Gela fino a Palermo.

La città fu liberata il 22 luglio e Britt partecipò per primo, con i suoi uomini, al combattimento per la liberazione della città ed in seguito continuò nella grande marcia arrivando fino a Messina.

Liberata la Sicilia le forze alleate si organizzarono per l’invasione della penisola Italiana con una serie di sbarchi divisi tra truppe Americane e Inglesi.

Le truppe americane, il 18 settembre del 1943, sbarcarono a sud del fiume Sele a Battipaglia, Britt era in uno dei mezzo da sbarco.

Quello che ripeteva nei suoi pensieri e nelle sue preghiere era di avere un po' di fortuna per questo  terzo sbarco dall’inizio del suo servizio militare, questa volta nell’ambito della grande operazione  Avalanche, lo sbarco di Salerno.

Britt, nei combattimenti dei giorni successivi, prese il comando della Compagnia L quando il suo comandante  fu ferito ed evacuato sulle navi per essere curato.

Il 22 settembre era in testa al 30° reggimento di Fanteria all’assalto di Acerno, a dieci miglia da Salerno, vedendo una situazione critica per  la sua compagnia e per quelle vicine, decise di individuare e distruggere una postazione di mitragliatrici nemica che falciava da posizione sicura i soldati americani in avanzata.                                                                                                                                                         

Alla fine la trovò, posta in un boschetto di castagni ad ovest della città; prese una granata da fucile e strisciò in campo aperto, noncurante del rischio, per oltre 50 mt,  prima di raggiungere una posizione utile per il tiro e distruggere la postazione, cosa che fece con l’unico tiro possibile.

Con questa azione ricevette una “Silver Star Medal” la terza più alta decorazione al valore militare che possa essere conferita ad un soldato dalle forze armate statunitensi, per “atto d'eroismo in azione contro un nemico degli Stati Uniti d'America”.

Lo stesso giorno, qualche ora più tardi, un colpo di mortaio caduto vicino a lui gli colpì il braccio con un shrapnel (scheggia), “regalandogli” in questo modo la prima delle sue quattro “Purple Hearts” (una decorazione delle forze armate statunitensi assegnata in nome del Presidente a coloro che sono stati feriti o uccisi mentre servivano nelle forze armate a partire dal 5 aprile 1917, giornata che segnò l'ingresso degli USA nella prima guerra mondiale).

All'inizio di ottobre del 1943, tutta l'Italia meridionale era nelle mani degli Alleati, gli eserciti erano di fronte alla linea del Volturno.

Questa era la prima di una serie di linee difensive preparate dai tedeschi e che attraversavano l'Italia da est a ovest e da cui i tedeschi avevano scelto di combattere per ritardare l’avanzata alleata.

Questa strategia costringeva gli alleati ad avanzare e combattere in terreni impervi e conquistarli metro dopo metro; dando ai difensori il tempo per completare la preparazione di altre linee difensive, come la Bernhard Line e la Gustav Line, una delle loro linee difensive più forti a sud di Roma, che impegnò gli alleati per quasi sei mesi.

Il 29 ottobre, dopo aver attraversato il Volturno, Britt era in prima linea con i suoi ragazzi nella zona di Pietravairano durante l’attacco a monte San Nicola. Il suo compito era di organizzare un fuoco di copertura per permettere ad una compagnia del 30° reggimento di conquistare la vetta.

Nello stesso attacco a Pietravairano, il giorno precedente, Arlo L. Olson, ufficiale del 15° reggimento della Terza Divisione di fanteria, meritò la Medal of Honor, per le sue azioni durante i combattimenti.

Nelle fasi iniziali del combattimento del 29 ottobre un soldato di Britt fu colpito da un cecchino e cadde su un terreno ripido in una zona impervia e rocciosa scoperta al tiro nemico; le sue urla fecero capire che non era stato ucciso ma solo ferito, forse gravemente.

Britt non attese la sera e quindi il buio per inviare i soccorsi, ma si arrampicò da solo lungo la collina, per un terreno scoperto e facile bersaglio per i cecchini, fino a raggiungere il soldato ferito, che fu preso in spalla e portato di nuovo a valle, verso le sue linee ed i primi soccorsi.

Per le azioni a Pietravairano del 29 ottobre, ricevette la “Bronze Star Medal” (medaglia della stella di bronzo) con la “V” in bronzo posta sul nastrino a indicare il “Valore” delle azioni condotte in quei giorni.

I giorni che seguirono, nel mese di novembre, videro l’intera Terza Divisione di Fanteria, incaricata di liberare le città lungo l’asse della Highway Six (la S.S. 6 Casilina) e successivamente raggiungere e conquistare le tre montagne che dominavano la valle a nord del villaggio di Mignano e che costituivano un ostacolo per le forze corazzate per proseguire la marcia su Roma.

Erano la collina di Monterotondo sulla destra della Highway Six; di Montelungo sulla sinistra e di Monte la Defenza sempre sulla sinistra. Le tre montagne, con la via Casilina nel mezzo rappresentarono un ostacolo per quasi due mesi ed impegnarono migliaia di uomini. Alla fine si contarono oltre 120 medaglie tra le truppe americane e italiane cobelligeranti. 

Per l’attacco sarebbero stati utilizzati il 15° reggimento, obiettivo Monterotondo e Montelungo ed il 7° reggimento, obiettivo monte Cesima, al confine con il settore e obiettivo d’attacco Inglese, Monte Camino.

Le pattuglie di esploratori segnalavano diversi campi minati, trappole e postazioni di mitragliatrici su tutte le montagne, difese da unità della 3a divisione Panzergrenadier e della divisione Hermann Göring, ancora efficienti, nonostante le pesanti perdite subite fino a quel momento.

Il generale Truscott, che aveva avuto il comando della 3ª divisione di fanteria dall'aprile del 1943,  aveva messo in riserva il 30°reggimento di Fanteria, tenendolo pronto per l’assalto decisivo in quella zona quando le difese Tedesche sarebbero state sul punto di crollare.

Ma la situazione tattica venutasi a trovare sul monte Camino, nel settore Inglese, dove la 56ª  divisione Inglese era bloccata e veniva decimata; portò il generale Inglese McCreery a chiedere a Clark una maggiore pressione per aiutare la 56ª  divisione.

Il generale Clark acconsentì chiedendo al generale Lucas un maggiore sforzo; quest’ultimo chiese al generale Truscott, comandante delle truppe dell’area definita come “Mignano Gap” (varco di Mignano), di impiegare anche il 30°reggimento di fanteria in una manovra avvolgente.

Truscott protestò, vedendo in questo lo spreco di un reggimento, ma obbedì agli ordini inviando il 30°reggimento. I soldati partirono subito a bordo dei camion verso Presenzano, nei pressi di Rocca Pipirozzi, da qui raggiunsero le zone presidiate dalla 45ª Divisione e avanzarono verso ovest lungo la “Cannavinelle Hill”, un sentiero di montagna scavato per l’occasione da un battaglione di Ranger, per prendere Monterotondo da Est, in una manovra di aggiramento delle postazioni nemiche.

Al reggimento, affaticato, bagnato per la pioggia che non terminava mai e infreddolito per le temperature basse del periodo, fu ordinato di conquistare e tenere la strategica posizione di Monterotondo che permetteva ai tedeschi di controllare la strada principale per Roma.

Alla pioggia si unì anche la neve, ed il 30° rgt di fanteria la mattina del 6 novembre attaccò compiendo pochi progressi. Al loro fianco, ad ovest, il 15° rgt di fanteria non era riuscito a conquistare la prima vetta di Montelungo, entrambi non avevano raggiunto i loro obiettivi e occorreva un nuovo attacco.

La conquista di Monterotondo avvenne l’8 novembre, in una mattina nebbiosa, dopo due giorni passati sotto la neve senza equipaggiamento invernale e senza cibo, che fu consegnato solo poche ore prima del secondo attacco.

Per quest’azione furono sostenuti da otto battaglioni di artiglieria coordinati tra loro, che fecero fuoco sulle due colline, permettendo al 30° rgt. di rompere la difesa del 3° Panzergrenadier Division e farsi largo lungo la boscaglia, risalendo la collina ripida e fangosa per raggiungere la vetta.

Per la conquista della vetta il 30° reggimento della Terza Divisione ebbe la Presidential Unit Citation, un nastrino blù rettangolare bordato da un cordoncino color oro, una delle più alte onorificenze militari delle forze armate statunitensi, conferita per "atti di straordinario eroismo contro il nemico".

Anche un battaglione del 15°rgt. di fanteria conquistò la prima vetta di Montelungo, mentre un secondo si posizionò lungo l’Highway Six tra le colline di Montelungo e Monterotondo per garantire la chiusura di una curva difensiva di circa novecento metri.

In questa zona la pattuglia di esploratori guidata dal soldato Audie Murphy a seguito di un combattimento con diversi morti e prigionieri Tedeschi, fu costretta a rifugiarsi in una grotta. (lo scontro fu ricordato da A.Murphy nelle sue memorie pubblicate nel libro “all’Inferno e ritorno”. La grotta è stata ritrovata nella primavera del 2018 ed è attualmente visitabile.)

Lo stesso giorno, l’8 novembre, con l’intenzione di riconquistare la collina, l’8 reggimento della 3a divisione panzer (Panzergrenadier) lanciò diversi attacchi con il secondo battaglione (II/8°) contro alcune compagnie della terza divisione posizionate sulla sommità di Monterotondo.

La storico della 3a divisione ci ha descritto i loro attacchi  come “non coordinati tra di loro”, questo fatto fu strano per gli americani, abituati all’organizzazione tedesca nella difesa e nell’attacco.

La forza del battaglione tedesco alla fine dei primi attacchi era ridotta a soli trenta uomini tanto da rendere necessario al comando tedesco di riunire il II°btg. (II/8°) al III° btg. (III/8°) posto tra Monterotondo e Montelungo per avere di nuovo una unità efficiente.

Il generale Tedesco Frido Von Senger, comandante dell’intero settore, disperato per gli esiti degli scontri e deciso a riprendere Monterotondo, ordinò al 104° reggimento Panzergrenadier, (III/104°) rimasto di riserva, di riconquistare la vetta di Monterotondo “a tutti i costi”.

Von Senger ordinò inoltre al gruppo di combattimento di Otto Von Corvin di prendere posizione nella zona di San Pietro Infine, la famosa battaglia di San Pietro era all’orizzonte.

Durante la notte del 9 novembre il 104° reggimento Panzergrenadier superò l’8° Panzergrenadier alla base della collina di Monterotondo.

Questo battaglione teneva ancora  prigionieri gli americani catturati durante gli attacchi del giorno precedente; dalle fonti storiche della divisione, sembra si trattasse di soldati di alcune postazioni di mitragliatrici rimasti tagliati fuori dal contrattacco tedesco.

Il 104°, avendo come ordine di riprendere Monterotondo a tutti i costi, decise che il fine giustificava i mezzi e prese in carico i prigionieri americani  informandoli che sarebbero stati posizionati di fronte al battaglione  durante l’attacco, utilizzandoli di fatto come scudi umani. Questo stratagemma fu messo in atto fin dalla sera, quando due compagnie del 104° avanzarono nella notte fino alle pendici orientali di Monterotondo portando con sè i prigionieri che sarebbero stati utilizzati il giorno seguente nell’attacco principale.

Il giorno di Britt

E venne il giorno del valore, era il 10 novembre del 1943, Monterotondo a quel punto dei combattimenti, era difeso da tre sottodimensionate compagnie del 3° Btg. del 30° Rgt. della Terza Divisione Americana.

Una delle tre compagnie, la “L”, quella di Britt, era posizionata in basso e ridotta a soli 55 uomini, dei 200 di cui era composta durante l’operazione Avalanche e doveva controllare e difendere una zona boscosa di circa 550 metri posta sul versante orientale della collina.

Il comandante del battaglione, il tenente colonnello Edgar C. Doleman, ricorda che il sistema difensivo era talmente esteso e presidiato da pochi uomini che era impossibile mantenere un contatto attraverso il bosco ed i pendii, questo era possibile solo con l’utilizzo di pattuglie, esposte al tiro degli assalitori o con l’ascolto dei messaggi gridati tra le varie postazioni, comunicazioni impossibili nelle fasi della battaglia perché coperte dai rumori degli scoppi e degli spari.

Il nemico iniziò ad avanzare verso le postazioni americane costringendo i prigionieri americani a correre di fronte a loro e riuscendo a trovare un varco tra le compagnie K e L che permetteva loro di attaccare al fianco la compagnia L, isolandola dal resto del battaglione.

Il caporale John Syc, ricordando quei giorni disse: “non riuscivamo a vedere i prigionieri americani, ma li sentivamo gridare di non sparare”.

Quando i prigionieri erano ormai a 50 mt e continuavano a gridare “Don’t shoot!” (non sparate!) il comandante della compagnia L, il tenente Britt, gridò ai prigionieri “We’re going to shoot! Fall flat! You won’t be hurt” “stiamo per sparare, gettatevi piatti a terra, non vi farete male!”

Il breve ritardo nell’apertura del fuoco da parte degli americani, per capire la situazione ed avvisare i prigionieri usati come scudi umani, aveva permesso ai Panzergrenadier di cogliere  l'opportunità che cercavano:  avvicinarsi il più possibile alla compagnia L per ridurre le perdite ed infliggere maggiore danno al nemico.

Con le due parti molto vicine lo scontro sembrava dovesse terminare con un corpo a corpo, tanto che entrambe le fazioni misero la baionetta sui fucili.

I tedeschi impegnati nell’attacco erano più di cento e fu a quel punto che Britt, capendo che la sua compagnia sarebbe stata tagliata fuori dal resto del battaglione e poi annientata, uscì dalla sua buca e iniziò a correre da una postazione all’altra incoraggiando i suoi uomini a tenere duro e sparare per tenere costantemente sotto il tiro le postazioni tedesche, che nel frattempo, avendo capito tutto, avevano iniziato a prendere di mira solo Britt, non riuscendo a colpirlo data la sua velocità ed i continui cambi di traiettoria; specialità in cui Britt era famoso nei Detroit Lions.

Durante l’azione fu trafitto al costato da un proiettile e ferito altre tre volte da schegge di mortaio, ma nonostante il dolore, il sangue che gli copriva il petto, il viso e le mani, riuscì a lanciare sul nemico trentadue granate a frammentazione, sparare con il suo fucile e tutte le armi che trovava in terra o nelle buche di soldati uccisi, fino a consumare un impressionante numero di colpi.  Uccise cinque tedeschi e ne ferì molti altri, riuscendo a liberare una parte dei soldati americani prigionieri, facendo a sua volta quattro prigionieri tedeschi.

Fred E. Marshall ricorda che Britt correva da una parte all’altra sparando ad ogni rumore e ad ogni figura in movimento, sparendo nel bosco per poi riapparire una volta finite le munizioni, lo ricorda prendere una carabina M1 da un soldato gravemente ferito e continuare a fare fuoco con quella e lanciare granate nel bosco mentre correva cercando i tedeschi.

Una scena rimase impressa a Marshall, fu quando vide Britt in mezzo al fuoco tedesco a pochi metri da loro, lanciare granate tutto intorno a lui senza essere colpito dalle stesse schegge; le bombe scoppiavano intorno a lui e lui correva e continuava a lanciarle.

Il sergente James G. Klanes ricorda di averlo visto partire e gettare 10/12 granate contro i tedeschi, che gli sparavano e lanciavano a loro volta granate e vederlo poi tornare per riprendere altre granate e ripartire in velocità, per tutto il combattimento.

In una delle corse di rientro alle postazioni americane lo videro con il viso il petto e le mani coperte di sangue, per via di tre bombe a mano tedesche lanciate su di lui e che era riuscito a rilanciare indietro facendole scoppiare lontano, ma rimanendo colpito dalle schegge.

Quando l’assalto iniziale stava per vacillare ed il restante della forza tedesca era ancora davanti alle loro posizioni, ma psicologicamente provata per la difesa che stava incontrando; Britt chiamò a raccolta i suoi uomini incitandoli a seguirlo nel bosco per attaccare e ripulire la minaccia.

Il Caporale Eric B. Gibson di Chicago, (che quel giorno non sapeva che il  28 gennaio 1944, presso Isola Bella a nord di Anzio avrebbe ottenuto la Medal of Honor per il suo coraggio)  ed il soldato Schimer di New York lo seguirono; Britt infondeva coraggio, sembrava immortale, era un esercito di un uomo solo.

Gibson ricorda che mentre Britt dava le indicazioni per l’azione la borraccia era trafitta da fori di proiettili, la camicia era ricoperta d’acqua, sudore e sangue, il suo porta binocolo era tutto trafitto da schegge e fori di proiettili.

A battaglia ultimata furono contati 14 morti tedeschi su quel lato della montagna, molti di loro uccisi da Britt.

Per tutta la mattina lui ed i tedeschi nel bosco si scambiarono fuoco da una distanza di 15 metri, sembrava li cercasse tra i rovi per attaccare battaglia.

Alcuni dei superstiti di quello scontro dissero che Britt, quella mattina in quel bosco, era un esercito di un uomo solo.

Le sue azioni incisero in maniera fondamentale sulla ritirata tedesca; probabilmente, se avesse fallito, Monterotondo sarebbe stato riconquistato.

Quando nel pomeriggio arrivarono i rinforzi, Britt tornò ancora nel bosco per cercare e colpire il resto dei tedeschi rimasti. Gibson ricorda ancora che Britt annientò una postazione di mitragliatrici che stava per colpirlo, salvandogli la vita.

Quando i rinforzi arrivarono, dei cinquantacinque uomini iniziali della compagnia “L” di Britt ne erano rimasti solo quattro; i tedeschi lasciarono sul campo sessantacinque tra morti e feriti.

Dopo il consolidamento delle posizioni, il comandante del battaglione, il Col. Doleman chiese una relazione a Britt e osservandolo sanguinare in quattro diversi punti gli comunicò di farsi vedere subito; ma Britt disse che non era nulla, il colonnello gli dovette ordinare di andare al punto di soccorso.

Arrivato al posto di medicamento Britt disse all’ufficiale medico, il capitano Roy Hanford, “prosegui con le cure degli altri feriti, ho solo un piccolo graffio, quando hai tempo lo guardi”.

Questo graffio, disse poi il capitano medico, era una ferita di 2 cm di larghezza profonda fino al muscolo, senza contare le schegge sul viso e sulle mani lasciate dalle granate tedesche.

Vedere il comportamento di Britt, disse il Capitano medico, era una fonte di forza e ispirazione sia per i feriti che per il personale medico, provato e stanco da quei giorni di combattimento.

Dopo il suo breve passaggio nell’infermeria si sentiva che tutti volevano dare di più a costo di sopportare il dolore, la sua figura infondeva rispetto forza e coraggio.

Quando gli chiese se voleva andare in ospedale Britt rispose “No, Doc, I want to go back up that hill and help my guys!.”  (No, Doc, voglio risalire su quella collina ed aiutare i miei ra-gazzi). La sua cura fu un po’ di polvere sulfamidica e un bel po’ di bende. Britt in quell’occasione non mostrò un pezzo di bomba a mano incastrato nel muscolo pettorale, lo fece diversi giorni dopo. Uscì dalla tenda e riprese a salire sulla ripidissima collina di Monterotondo.

Il Tenente Britt, alla fine dei combattimenti, ricevette la nomina alla Medal of Honor,  la più alta decorazione militare assegnata dal Governo degli Stati Uniti.

Per Britt ci fu anche la promozione a Capitano sul campo di battaglia.

Anzio, 22 Gennaio del 1944,

per Britt questo era il quarto sbarco dall’inizio del servizio militare, la Terza divisione era impegnata nell’Operazione Shingle. Il mezzo da sbarco ondeggiava lento, lo sbarco si annunciava più tranquillo del solito.

Britt, curate le ferite, il 23 Gennaio era in prima linea con la sua compagnia nelle Paludi Pontine, nei pressi di un incrocio stradale in zona Canale Mussolini. L’esperienza maturata nei mesi di combattimento gli fece capire che i tedeschi in quell’incrocio avevano piazzato delle mitragliatrici ben mimetizzate, ma non sapeva dove; era sicuro che avrebbero fatto fuoco quando tutti i suoi e quelli delle altre compagnie sarebbero stati allo scoperto.

Per questo motivo, per riuscire a snidarle, disse ai suoi di tenere gli occhi aperti e vedere da dove partiva il fuoco per indirizzare i colpi di mortaio e di artiglieria e iniziò a correre alla sua maniera esponendosi volutamente al tiro delle mitragliatrici tedesche. Anche qui la sua velocità, il suo coraggio ebbero la meglio.

Le mitragliatrici aprirono il fuoco dichiarando la loro posizione ed i mortai americani le ridussero al silenzio. L’azione di Britt aveva salvato la vita a tanti soldati americani che in segno di rispetto chiamarono e ricordarono quell’incrocio stradale come "Incrocio Britt".

Il giorno successivo, il 24 Gennaio, il capitano Britt ed il suo amico (Il Capitano Burleigh Packwood), dopo alcune notti passate combattendo di casa in casa con azioni perfettamente coordinate tra le loro compagnie per snidare i Tedeschi; partirono volontari in una missione di ricognizione, che aveva lo scopo di osservare una dozzina di carri armati tedeschi in avvicinamento, erano i primi segni del contrattacco Tedesco successivo allo sbarco.

Britt e Packwood si posizionarono all’interno di un casale in pietra semidistrutto e lo usarono come posto di osservazione per dirigere il fuoco dell’artiglieria contro i carri in avanzata.

Un carro armato tedesco, avendo capito che all’interno del casale poteva trovarsi un posto di osservazione, si avvicinò a circa 300 mt dall’edificio prima di sparare un proiettile perforante che colpendo la casa penetrò per parecchie pareti prima di esplodere nella sala dove era il capitano Britt. L'esplosione gli strappò il braccio fino al gomito, gli fratturò la gamba e tre dita dei piedi. Britt, mentre era seduto in mezzo alle macerie, raccolse il suo braccio mozzato con la mano sinistra e disse al suo amico Packwood “Ho sempre pensato che sarebbe andata a finire così!"

Quello era il braccio con il quale teneva il pallone da football.

Britt e Packwood rimasero amici per tutta la vita, ricorda il nipote che ogni Natale la prima telefonata di Britt era per il suo amico Packwood e restavano per molto tempo a raccontarsi le storie vissute insieme prima di darsi gli auguri di buone feste.

Le sue azioni del 23 e 24 gennaio, nella testa di ponte di Anzio, gli valsero il “Distinguished Service Cross”, la seconda più alta decorazione dell'esercito degli Stati Uniti, assegnata per ardimento ed estremo rischio della vita.

Nel febbraio del 1944, Britt fu evacuato  negli Stati Uniti per le cure mediche presso il Lawson General Hospital di Atlanta, la guerra per lui era finita.

Nel suo discorso, il giorno della consegna della Medal of Honor, il capitano Britt accettò la medaglia in nome di tutti i fanti che avevano combattuto ed erano morti in Italia, in Europa e nel Pacifico e per tutti coloro che stavano ancora combattendo.

Durante la convalescenza per le ferite e l’amputazione di parte del braccio, partecipò ad un tour di War Bond per la ricerca di fondi per finanziare lo sforzo bellico. Fu congedato con onore il 27 dicembre 1944 e tornò all’University of Arkansas per studiare e prendere la laurea in legge, mentre la guerra continuava.

Intorno a lui vide fanti come Audie Murphy, Leonard Funk ed altri pluridecorati continuare a raccogliere fondi e raccontare le loro gesta ma Britt non fu più ricordato dalla stampa e dall’esercito.

Si stabilì a Fort Smith, dove entrò in un'azienda di produzione di mobili di proprietà della famiglia di sua moglie. Lui e Nancy ebbero tre figli: Andrea, Maurice Jr. e Nancy Lea. Nel 1963 si trasferì a Little Rock e fondò la propria attività di produzione di prodotti in alluminio. Successivamente divorziò da Nancy ed il suo secondo matrimonio fu con Patricia Allbright Britt, il 12 novembre 1966;  (è morta il 1 ° dicembre 1993).

Nel 1966, Britt passò dal Partito Democratico al Partito Repubblicano , probabilmente in conflitto con le convinzioni segregazioniste sostenute da alcuni membri del Partito Democratico in quel momento. Ha collaborato con successo per il governatore Winthrop Rockefeller, ed entrambi hanno corteggiato gli elettori neri appena autorizzati al voto. Britt servì Rockefeller due mandati, che terminarono nel 1970. Quando scelse di non candidarsi alla rielezione nel 1970, divenne il responsabile per la fallita campagna elettorale per non aver accettato l’offerta di Rockefeller.

A Britt fu offerto un posto come direttore distrettuale della Small Business Administration dal presidente Nixon nel 1971 e servì in questa funzione fino al 1985. Si candidò per la nomina repubblicana a governatore nel 1986, ma fu sconfitto dall'ex governatore Frank White .

Maurice Britt fu il primo soldato americano ad ottenere tutte e quattro le decorazioni al valore dell'esercito americano durante la Seconda Guerra Mondiale.

Ha raggiunto i suoi fratelli in armi, della compagnia “L”, il 26 novembre 1995 nel John L. Mc Clellan Memorial Veterans Hospital di Little Rock.

Per cinquantadue anni aveva vissuto con il costante e quotidiano dolore per la perdita del braccio destro, del polmone destro, del busto sfregiato dalle schegge e trapassato da un proiettile e per un pezzo di scheggia conficcato nel piede sinistro. Nell’ottobre del 1995, quando la sua condizione diabetica lo consentì, gli fu rimosso il pezzo di metallo dal piede. Una vasta infezione seguita all’intervento e tre successive operazioni in una settimana per riuscire a fermarla, furono troppe per questo grande soldato,  che morì all'età di 76 anni per insufficienza cardiaca.

Durante la cerimonia la bara era aperta,  il suo cappotto militare pendeva dalla parte posteriore della sua sedia a dondolo preferita, posta accanto al feretro.

Il suo berretto militare e le sue medaglie erano state poste su di un tavolo accanto a lui.

Un sergente dell'esercito restò accanto alla bara durante le sei ore in cui Britt fu esposto. La cerimonia si svolse nella Chiesa Battista del Calvario di Little Rock, dove Britt era membro ed andava tutte le domeniche.

La sepoltura avvenne presso il Little Rock National Cemetery.

Un grande uomo, un grande soldato, un grande nonno”, come lo ricorda suo nipote, Chris Britt. Il nonno, appassionato di pesca, al rientro da una giornata al lago se aveva pescato un grande pesce ne indicava la lunghezza con il braccio sano; se la pesca era andata male, sorridendo diceva al nipote “ne ho preso uno grande così” alzando il braccio mancante.

Il 18 novembre del 2021 è stato dedicato a Maurice Lee Britt uno degli ingressi a Fort Stewart, base della Terza Divisione di Fanteria US Army.

Lo scrittore Alex Kershaw, ha inserito la sua storia nel libro “Against All Odds,  a true story of ultimate courage and survival in word war II” (Contro Ogni Previsione, una storia vera di coraggio e sopravvivenza nella seconda guerra mondiale) Caliber edizioni.

Chris Britt, ritiene che un contributo a questo rinnovato interesse lo ha dato anche il nostro avamposto in Italia, con il lavoro di ricerca dei luoghi dei vari combattimenti e la pubblicazione di articoli per onorarlo e ricordarlo.

Non finiremo mai di ricordarlo e di portare a conoscenza la sua storia.

Medagliere personale del Capitano Maurice Lee Britt.

1 Medal Of Honor (Medaglia d'onore)

1 Distinguished Service Cross (croce al merito di servizio)

1 Silver Star (Stella d’Argento)

2 Bronze Star (Stella di Bronzo)

4 Purple Hearts (cuore di porpora)

1 Army Commendation Medal (medaglia per atti di valore)

1 Presidential Unit Citation (medaglia per atti di straordinario eroismo contro il nemico)

1 Combat Infantryman Badge ( medaglia per tutti i fanti in combattimento dal 6 Gennaio 1941)

1 American Defence Service Medal

1 American Campaign Medal

1 European African Eastern Campaign

1 World War Two Victory Medal

1 Coix De Guerre France

1 Medaglia d’oro al valore militare (Onorificenza Italiana)


Onori personali

Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame (1972)


Per onorare e ricordare Maurice Lee Britt “Footsie” che risuoni il silenzio in ognuno di noi e la consapevolezza che la nostra libertà, quando fu in pericolo, fu salvata da questi uomini venuti da lontano e da tanti altri che non riuscirono a compiere il primo sbarco, mettere il primo piede sulla terra da liberare.  Uomini di cui la storia non riporta le gesta, ma solo  il numero nella conta delle perdite.

Uomini e soldati che non ebbero mai minor valore e coraggio di coloro che oggi ricordiamo, solo meno fortuna.

 Ass. Terza Divisione di Fanteria US Army avamposto nr. 16 Italia

Fonte dati:

The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture

Association of the United States Army

ARMY Magazine, Association of the United States Army, May 2008, "My Favorite Lion, Maurice Britt", By Lt. Col. Jack Mason, p. 72

Countdown to Cassino: The Battle of Mignano Gap, 1943 - Di Alex Bowlby




Ricerca e testi di Luigi Settimi,

Presidente dell’Associazione della Terza Divisione di fanteria US Army

Avamposto nr. 16, Italia


 Archivio fotografico - Photo Archive









 Honors to you, Maurice!











Nessun commento:

Posta un commento